Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

I am trying to write every day even if I have nothing to say.

I made some pumpkin bread today. I neglected to take a picture of it. I'd run out of eggs (the laying is slowing down, since it's practically winter), so I looked up an egg-free recipe and it turned out wonderfully. Super moist, and more like a cake than a bread, really. Two loaves, one already demolished. I hid the second one for tomorrow.

Also in the kitchen, a beautiful batch of Amish friendship bread starter, which will be ready to be baked up this weekend. I used to keep some going all the time, but fell out of it a couple of years ago. Once, I was sitting at the kitchen table with my sister in law, who is so young and so very 'something' talking about breads. And she got up and went to her recipe box, and brought a recipe for the starter and various breads, explaining how she had gotten it from a friend. I told her I had a recipe, used to make it all the time. And she was INCREDULOUS. Who do you know that gave it to you? It's really supposed to be an Amish SECRET! Outside of the Amish, no one is supposed to have it! I did not even know what to say, I am not sure where she would get such a thing. On the inside, I was all 'Bless her heart.'

I tried to watch 'Only God Forgives' which I thought would be a great movie because Ryan Gosling. I thought maybe I am not smart enough, or artsy enough, because I could not even get through the whole thing. I looked it up to see reviews and stuff, and my opinion was confirmed. According to various critics, that is not a good movie. I am sure there are a lot of people who like it, I am not one of them.

I feel like something should be said about my leaving Facebook. It has been called 'inconveniencing people', 'being weird and anti social', and a few other things. Basically I am being told that I need to be on Facebook for the convenience of other people. How will I know about an event? How will I be invited to things? How are people supposed to get in touch with me? I am inconveniencing a lot of people, because if they want to invite me to something, they have to do a whole separate thing for me. There's no messaging me via Facebook which is what EVERYONE uses!! And I am not any better or more important than other people so just reactivate my account already. I did not know that being on Facebook was any kind of obligation I had. This is how some people react. The worst reaction was calling me a drama queen and saying I was just begging for attention. I don't think any NORMAL person would have thought that, but a couple did. My very last Facebook post explained how I really enjoy my life more and I'm more productive without Facebook. I also had some concerns about privacy (since I have very good reasons for not wanting to be found by a certain person) that I could not seem to resolve with the privacy setting options Facebook offered. I went on to share my email address and phone number (talk or text!) and said I did want to keep in touch with everyone. I got contact information via private message from some people, and left that post up for about 24 hours. There was nothing emotional about it at all. So I'm a little disappointed in some people. If I were trying to get attention, I would make it super emotional. About my deep sense of loss over those I thought were friends, over the jabs via passive aggressive status updates, over the obvious lack of caring. But, you know, I decided to keep it calm. Because it really wasn't a very emotional decision to me. It was "Wow. This sucks. I'm not doing it anymore."

I feel really good about not being on Facebook. It's a better, more productive day without it. Since I do like to take pictures of the kids, dogs, etc I went looking for a way to put them somewhere they will stay. I lost a phone once, and it had tons of pictures I had never shared online on it, and I didn't back them up, so they were lost forever. I found Path. Default settings are private, and I am not trying to be social there, just put my stuff somewhere safer than it would be on something that could get lost. It's easy, and they are better about privacy than Facebook.

I think that's it. Here's a picture of my dog, Abby. She is all around awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment