Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

On Yarnbombing





I like to knit. I'm not the best at it, but it's a meditative thing for me that takes my mind of of stuff. I am always super busy, because it IS kind of like a farm here, there's a lot of work. I always feel kind of weird if I just sit around and watch a movie. There's a little voice in my head that says HEY ISN'T THERE SOMETHING YOU SHOULD BE DOING RIGHT NOW?! and the answer is always yes. But if I am doing SOMETHING, I feel alright about sitting for a while. So, the knitting.

I taught myself how to knit from a book about 5 years ago. We were living in a small town, and if you didn't go to church  or have a lot of friends, there really wasn't much to do. There were 16 churches and 8 bars in that town of 2000 people. I am not exaggerating. And that was all there was to do. Not being so much the bar type, and also being an atheist, I had to find something. I loved it so much I started a knitting group at the library with the help of one of the librarians. Once a week, I would go hang out with a bunch of ladies who were all almost old enough for me to call them Gramma, and listened to their amazing life stories and knit scarf after scarf. But you can only foist so many scarves on people, and I didn't care to learn to make anything else. Now living in the city and seeing so much street art in my neighborhood, I wanted to add something to it. SO YARNBOMBS.

I've put about 30 of them up. Sometimes, they stay up for MONTHS. Sometimes, it is only days before someone decides to cut it down, or slash it up. People are almost always happy when they walk by and see me stitching on to a post or a tree, and stop to talk. Some people just think it's weird or crazy.

I've been asked by people to do 'their' sign post, light post, bike rack, tree.....but I kind of like just stitching them up wherever it strikes me to, and not thinking of it as something that 'needs' to get done because I SAID I WOULD. I like to be a free spirit about that, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment